Oct. 31, 2009.

That's the date that marks the last time that Tennessee defeated a ranked opponent.

Since then, the Vols have played in 18 contests against such opponents and have only managed to stay within 10 points on four occasions.

In total, four current members of the UT roster were a part of that 31-13 victory against then-No. 22 South Carolina.

However, the rest of the seniors – as well as every other member of the team – who have never defeated a ranked opponent, are hoping to change that trend Saturday when the No. 6 Georgia Bulldogs roll into town for a 3:30 p.m. contest at Neyland Stadium.

"It's nothing that we really think of," Rajion Neal said. "I think in our idle time, we do sit around and talk about things like that, but at the end of the day, we look at every team as a competitor that we can be really prepared and try and beat.

"For the seniors – we're hungry. Us not beating Florida, Georgia, so many SEC teams since we've been here, we're hungry to go out and get us a win."

That long-awaited victory will not be easy for the Vols as the Bulldogs possess one of the nation's most potent offenses with its ability to run the ball effectively and air it out at will.

The Vols' defense may be in luck, however, as Georgia's starting running back Todd Gurley, who rushed for 1,385 yards last season, will not start and is not expected to play, leaving sophomore Keith Marshall to shoulder the brunt of the carries.

However, Marshall is still a capable back who rushed for 759 yards last season, including a 164-yard performance against UT, and has been a focus for the Vols in practice.

"He's got great speed, good balance and good size," defensive coordinator John Jancek said. "He sees things well in the hole and (has) lateral quickness. The other thing too is he catches the ball out of the backfield; he's got good hands. He's very dynamic with the ball."

If the Vols are able to stop the run, they will still be left with the task of defending the pass against senior quarterback Aaron Murray, who was named to the first-team Preseason All-SEC Team and currently has 1,338 passing yards to go along with 11 touchdowns.

"(He has) the makings of a great quarterback," UT coach Butch Jones said. "The great quarterbacks have the ability to defeat tight coverage and throw it in there. Murray can defeat tight coverage. That's what makes him a special player. He's poised and he's in control."

Even if the Vols are able to limit a Georgia team that is averaging 41.3 points per game, they will still have to score points for themselves to come away victorious.

The Bulldogs, who lost seven starters on the defensive side of the ball in the 2013 NFL Draft, have had a down year defensively, allowing 32.5 points per game this season compared to the 19.6 they gave up last season.

They will also most likely be without freshman safety Tray Matthews – the owner of UGA's sole interception this season – who suffered a "tweaked" hamstring at the end of Tuesday's practice.

"We'll have to see how bad it was, but it was bad enough he couldn't go today," Georgia head coach Mark Richt told the Athens media after Wednesday's practice.

Even without Matthews, the Vols are not overlooking the talent-laden defense.

"They have a lot of good athletes, a lot of good looking guys, and overall they're a good defense," Neal said. "I think as long as we stick to our game plan and really stay disciplined to what we really know how to do, we'll be fine."

The Vols will unveil their highly-anticipated "smokey" gray jerseys Saturday. The game will be televised on CBS.