In the Merriam-Webster dictionary, the word "contain" is defined as keeping something within limits.

For the Vols, the word "contain" doesn't seem to exist.

Throughout the season, quarterbacks have torched the Tennessee defense, escaping the pocket and doing whatever they want with the football to their heart's content.

Whether running or passing, it hasn't mattered. If you can get out of the pocket you're going to have some success versus the Vols.

Maty Mauk's 114 yard rushing performance – not to mention the copious amounts of times he escaped the pocket to buy himself some time to throw the ball down the field – in last Saturday's beat down by Missouri was just the latest piece of evidence.

The problem surfaced when Tyler Murphy filled in for Jeff Driskel during the Florida game and proceeded to live outside the hashes, rushing for 84 yards on 10 carries and picking apart every cornerback on the UT roster as he scrambled around.

South Alabama's Ross Metheny officially made everybody flag the lack of containment as an issue for the Vols as his two rushing touchdowns almost allowed the Jags to hand Tennessee their most embarrassing defeat since losing to Wyoming in 2008.

In the Vols' most recent victory over South Carolina, Gamecocks' quarterback Connor Shaw kept his team close throughout the day as he scrambled and picked up clutch first downs with his legs consistently on third downs.

Not to mention the Vols would probably be 5-4 right now had they not allowed Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray to break off a 57-yard run right through the heart of the defense.

And the job of stopping opposing quarterbacks doesn't get any easier this week when Nick Marshall and his Auburn offense come to town.

The junior signal caller is the main reason why Auburn is shocking so many people this season. The Tigers are currently second in the SEC West after being picked to finish fifth in the preseason poll.

Cam Newt... err, Marshall, has been a nightmare for opposing defenses, racking up 1,266 yards through the air and 520 yards on the ground, averaging a robust 5.8 yards per carry.

Add running back Tre Mason into the mix, and the duo combines to form a potent zone read attack.

If they haven't been doing it yet, the Vols' defensive coaches need to break out their dictionaries and start preaching the word containment to their linebackers and defensive ends, because if they don't get it together, it's will be another long Saturday in Neyland Stadium for the orange and white.

Upset of the Week

Last week: Tennessee over Missouri

This week: Pittsburgh over No. 23 Notre Dame, 21-20

Out of all the rivalries in college football, has there been a closer rivalry than the one between Pitt and Notre Dame over the past few years?

While the Panthers haven't picked up a win against the Irish in the last three seasons – even though they were one bologna pass interference call away from keeping Notre Dame out of the national title picture last year – every game has had Touchdown Jesus biting his nails, as Pittsburgh has lost by a combined 12 points in the three matchups since 2010.

The fourth time is the charm for the Tom Savage-led Panthers who have been in almost every game this season and should be starving for revenge against Brian Kelly and the Irish.

Troy Provost-Heron is a sophomore in journalism & electronic media. He can be reached tprovost@utk.edu.