Marlon Walls remembers looking around at his teammates. Everyone was shocked about what had just transpired.

On Nov. 17, 2012, Vanderbilt trounced the Vols 41-18 in Nashville for the Commodores' second win against the Vols in 30 years. Immediately after, UT lost its bowl hopes and its head coach.

"It was definitely one of the low points, and the Kentucky game before that," Walls said.

"Those things motivate you, and we're very motivated not to let that happen again. We're excited to go play football on Saturday."

The Vols (4-6) welcome Vanderbilt (6-4) to Neyland Stadium for a 7 p.m. contest on Saturday. UT must win to keep its bowl aspirations alive and perhaps to keep its command of the Volunteer State.

"If you go back, back, back, those are the games from a location standpoint that were always important to this university and have to become important again," UT running backs coach Robert Gillespie said. "We have to do a great job of becoming a team of this state first and foremost. We are the school of Tennessee, and our guys have to understand they've got to protect their home first before you become a respected team outside of your state.

"So this is a huge game for us, and we're going to go out there and try to play our best."