The jury is still out on new UT head coach Butch Jones, but the positive reviews have been pouring in and he received a notable one from a Tennessee legend on Saturday.

Eric Berry, two-time All-American defensive back with the Vols from 2007-09, chimed in on the newest addition to the UT coaching tree at his D1 Iron Sharpens Iron Camp in Knoxville last weekend.

"I feel like he's really trying to make a change in our university and our team, and anytime you're doing that, I'm going to support it to the fullest," Berry said. "I just feel like he's a good person in general, not just a good coach. But I feel like he's a good person. He's trying to do things the right way and he's trying to handle them to the best of his ability."

The 24-year-old safety is entering his fourth season with the Kansas City Chiefs of the NFL, where he's already made two Pro Bowls. In addition to his time spent on the gridiron, he's created the Eric Berry Foundation, which teamed up with D1 to put on two days of camps in Chattanooga and Knoxville.

Berry and Jones hadn't met until UT hired the former Cincinnati coach, but they've kept in contact as of late and he's been nothing short of impressed.

"We talk about football a little bit, but usually he's pretty much just checking up on me, seeing how I was doing, and I talk to him about his family, he asks me about mine," Berry said. "I think it was more of us just getting to know each other, not more so of just talking football all the time. I appreciate that too as well."

When Berry was on Rocky Top, coaching continuity wasn't at its high point. A 5-7 season in 2008 resulted in the end of the Phillip Fulmer era, and the one-year-wonder Lane Kiffin bolted for USC as Berry declared for the draft as a junior.
Despite the struggles, Berry said he took a lot from his experience with the respective coaching staffs.

"With Coach Fulmer here, I had a privilege of working with John Chavis, who I feel like is one of the best coaches I ever played for," Berry said. "I feel like he pretty much taught me a lot of the things that helped me throughout my career.

"With Lane, I had Monte Kiffin, an NFL guy. I learned a lot of things from him as well. I definitely think I was privileged to play for both of those guys."