The Tennessee Volunteers created their first road game winning streak Wednesday night in Nashville with a win over in-state rival Vanderbilt, 58-46.

Sophomore Jarnell Stokes continued to perform at a high level in SEC play scoring 17 points and 10 rebounds. It was Stokes' sixth straight double-double performance.

"I definitely think we are on a roll," Stokes said. "I think we pushed the ball a lot more. That's the way our team should play. We defended well, which then (led) to offense."

The Vols (13-10, 5-6 SEC) had the hot hand throughout the entire first half scoring 40 points and shooting 53 percent from the field. The Commodores (9-14, 3-8) were not able to handle the Vols' high powered scoring attack.

The main contributor for the Vols was junior Trae Golden who had 11 of his 12 points in the first half. Golden returned to the starting lineup for the first time after his hamstring injury.

"I just wanted to get out to a good start, feel the team and ride off of that," Golden said. "In the second half, I fell back and gave guys good shots by giving Jarnell and Jordan (McRae) the ball to get them going."

After the hot start in the first half, the Volunteers cooled off only scoring six points in the first nine minutes of the second half. After a Josh Richardson basket at the 16:48 mark, Vanderbilt went on an 8-0 run over six minutes. Tennessee only finished with 18 points in the second half.

"I think in this particular case we got lazy," head coach Cuonzo Martin said. "In a couple of other games the turnovers were in the half court of us not executing our offense. I think we got a little careless and a little lazy on some of those passes."

Vanderbilt, a 3-point shooting team, was held to 3-14 from behind the arc for the game.

Another factor in the Vols' win was the contribution by junior Jordan McRae. McRae recorded his first double-double of his career with 14 points and 11 rebounds.

"It was my first one so I am excited about it," he said. "Now I set a standard for myself and now (Martin) is going to expect it to see it more now."

The Vols have now won back-to-back road wins for the first time this season.

"It was an impressive win for us," McRae said. "We had the game in control the whole game."

The Vols played solid, tough defense only recording nine personal fouls for the entire game.

"The referees were letting us play so we were up on them," McRae said. "We were bumping them on their cuts and if the refs are going to let us play like that. It is our style anyway."

Attendance in historic Memorial Gym was just 12,868.

The Volunteers return to action Saturday, Feb. 13 at 1 p.m. as they take on rival Kentucky Wildcats on CBS. The Wildcats' star forward, Nerlens Noel, is out for the season with a torn ACL.