For a majority of the players on the UT men's tennis team they aren't acclimated to the surrounding area.

The team roster size may seem small, with only 10 student-athletes, but they come from quite different backgrounds. In fact many come from all across the world; countries such as Latvia, Poland, Australia and Argentina.

While many had never known what Big Orange country was while growing up, there is a member of the team that knows all about the Volunteer tradition and has been playing college tennis in his backyard.

One of the two current Vols who grew up in Knoxville is sophomore Brandon Fickey.

While many colleges were after the former Knox Webb standout — who was the first player to win four-consecutive state high school singles titles — it was a relative easy decision for him.

"It's great playing in your backyard," Fickey said. "I've always grown up bleeding orange and it's the only thing I've ever known. That's one thing Sam (Winterbotham) really sold me on when he was recruiting me."

Although he doesn't live at home anymore the convenience of being so close to family pays its dividends.

"It's great seeing everybody that you know come out and support you," he said. "My family's all here and it's always good for when you need dinner every once in a while."

While Fickey's game does most of the talking, the support from family and friends may factor into his hot play of late, as the Andy Murray fan is on a streak of eight straight match wins.

When the 5-foot-11-inch, 173-pound sophomore is on the court he and his teammates consider him to be very fiery and the type of player that hates to lose.

Although he may be an emotional player on the court there is another side to the speedy tennis player outside the sports arena.

When not working on his serves and volleys he is a carefree 20-year-old who likes to have fun and has a love for music.

"I like to play drums," Fickey said. "Music is a big part of my life. It's something I keep to myself and takes a little while to get stuff out of me."

His teammate and doubles partner has noticed his shyness of playing music in front of others.

"I've been to his house a couple of times and tried to get him to play and he won't do it," redshirt sophomore Hunter Reese said. "But when your not paying attention he'll bust out a beat for twenty seconds and then he stops once he realizes people are paying attention."

There's also something else that many people may not know about him: he loves the game of baseball as well.

"I grew up a massive baseball fan," Fickey said. "In fact most of the guys I played with are on the UT baseball team. If you would've told me about at 11 or 12 I'd be playing tennis in college I would've thought you were crazy."

While you can find Fickey supporting his friends that play for the UT baseball team in the spring, he is glad to be playing the sport he found the greatest success in.

"Baseball was always what I loved, but I just liked the more individual aspect of tennis," he said.

Like many other athletes he also has his gameday rituals, as he always has to have his tennis bag on the left side when he is on the bench. That may tie in to the fact that tennis is the only sport he plays right-handed.

All-in-all Fickey has impressed his teammates and found a place with his hometown team.

"I love his fight, he's awesome as a doubles partner," Reese said. "He fights exactly like we want him to and you have to respect that."