Whether it be overcoming an injury or gaining a starting spot, college athletes are put to the test every day and their strength is tested.

It goes without saying that the Tennessee Volunteer football team has been tested time and time again over the past few years.

After two consecutive seasons without a bowl appearance, first year head coach Butch Jones looks to install his new proven winning system at UT. For that to happen, he's looking for his team to buy into his teaching and individual players to emerge as leaders.

One player that has been a bright spot in spring practice so far and grown as a leader has been junior quarterback Justin Worley.

The former Northwestern (S.C.) High School Gatorade National Player of the Year is in the process of learning the new up-tempo offense installed by the Vols' new head coach, which is very different from years past.

"It's definitely more up tempo and spread out," Worley said. "A lot of the concepts are still the same. Just grasping Coach (Mike) Bajakian's terminology and his teaching styles has been different."

Worley will enter the 2013-2014 football season with the most experience out of any signal caller on the team, with nine games under his belt. That said, he is in the midst of a position battle with redshirt freshman Nathan Peterman.

The Vols also have two highly recruited quarterbacks coming in during the summer session in Riley Ferguson and Joshua Dobbs. They will also look to audition to the starting gig.

"You just have to focus on getting better as an individual," Worley said. "It's about being able to grow as an individual and make the people around you better.

Jones has seen great progress in Worley, but still not enough to say he has a leg up on the others.

"Neither one has separated himself from the other," Jones said of Worley and Peterman. "Everything in the passing game is about rhythm, spacing and timing."

This spring, the 6-foot-4 gunslinger has made his voice heard as a leader, regardless of the starting position.

"Being with these guys for three years it helps being able to say what I need to say and not feel timid to say different things," he said. "Definitely having some experience has helped me progress as a leader."

While he takes on the role of a leader on the football field, he considers himself to be quiet and reserved off of it. He also enjoys playing another sport in his free time away from football.

"I play golf in my down time and also like to read and hang out with the guys," Worley said. "I enjoy going out and playing wherever and whenever I can."

Although his best score of 75 might not match up to his favorite golfer, Tiger Woods, the sport continues to intrigue him, just not enough to take him away from football.