The Tennessee Volunteers Baseball team suffered a 4-3 defeat against the Ole Miss Rebels on Sunday, completing a sweep of the weekend series that left the Vols outscored 15-7.

It was a devastating loss for the Volunteers as Tennessee entered the ninth inning with a 3-1 lead against No. 17 Ole Miss who managed to seize three runs and win the game by one.

"We're disappointed after every loss," pitcher Zack Godley said. "It hurts, but it sucks to lose that way. We've got to come back next week and get better. That's all I can do."

The Vols had high hopes for a win against Ole Miss as a home run hit from Christin Stewart in the eighth inning put them ahead going in to the ninth.

"I just try to carry the momentum at the plate and get comfortable up there, swing at good pitches and put good swings on balls," Stewart said on his offensive success this past weekend.

The coaches didn't have a lot to say to the players after the upsetting loss on Sunday afternoon.

"In those kinds of situations, there's not really any words that's going to make them feel better; there's nothing you can say," head coach Dave Serrano said. "What I did tell them is that Tuesday we get another opportunity to get better as a team, and that hopefully this adversity will make us a stronger team.

"This game can be very cruel and it's pretty cruel to us right now."

Although the series defeat left the team feeling disappointed, the Vols are working on putting their losses behind them and finding ways to be more successful in the coming weeks.

"I don't think you need to be a baseball genius to realize where we're falling short in being successful. Yesterday it was execution. Today it was defense," Serrano said.

Tennessee has a long way to go if they plan to step up to the plate and finish the season off strong. Serrano said the Vols need to work on becoming a more fundamental team.

"We're just finding ways – and I'm not proud to say this at all – to not be successful," Serrano said. "Whether it's us putting too much pressure on ourselves to win instead of just sticking to the fundamentals, (I don't know). I'm ashamed to say we're not a very fundamental team right now, and that's hard for me to say. We're not doing the things you have to do to be successful."

As the Vols (17-21, 5-13) shake off their weekend series loss, they prepare for their game against MTSU (22-20, 7-11) in Murfreesboro on Tuesday.

"We've got to find a way to get out of this and to be more successful. That's the bottom line," Serrano said.
First pitch in Murfreesboro is scheduled for 7 p.m. EST.