The Masters is "a tradition unlike any other," and that goes for any golf fan, especially the men of the Tennessee golf team.

"You feel like you are walking in a dream or something because everything is so perfect there," Rick Lamb said.

This past week the men played in the Augusta State Tournament in Augusta, Ga. No, they didn't play on the hallowed ground of Augusta National, but following the conclusion of their weekend tournament — where the Vols placed sixth — the team was able to go to Monday's practice round for this weekend's Masters.

"Just watching practice is one of the cool things that not many get to see," Jay Vandeventer said. "Most people just see them playing at their best, but getting to see their preparation and how they work leading up to that is really key to a guy who wants to be there one day."

Though seniors Vandeventer and Lamb have been before, the course's allure doesn't diminish with multiple visits in their eyes.

"It is one of places that every time you walk in it never loses any luster," Lamb said.

"It is always spectacular going there, it gives you some inspiration, motivation," Vandeventer said.

It is the same for assistant coach and director of instruction Casey VanDamme, who has been to a handful of Masters during his career as an instructor.

"I've been four times now and you get something different from it every time you go," VanDamme said. "I enjoy watching our guys more than anything, especially the ones who haven't been there and looking at their faces because it's truly amazing. I think this year three of our five had never been there so they really enjoyed it."

Freshman Oliver Goss is one of those newcomers who had never had the privilege of going to Augusta National.

"The atmosphere you can't describe," the freshman said. "To actually go there and see it for yourself is amazing."

Getting to watch a practice round does more than just offer the players an extraordinary experience, but is also an opportunity to learn from the world's best.

"I think our guys can pick up a lot from watching the pros out there," VanDamme said. "They are able to get some good rhythm stuff and how they approach practice. They get to see the difference between a top college player and professionals is rhythm. They can also see how good those guys are at their short game in comparison to top college players."

Like any golf fan, the players have their favorite moments and memorable shots that have stuck with them throughout the years.

"The first Masters I remember watching is when Tiger won in '97 and that is what kind of got me into golf," Lamb said.

"Tiger's chip on 16 (in 2005) was one of the best things I have seen," Goss said.

"When I was there, we saw, I forgot who it was, one of the guys skipped it over the water on 16 and actually made it. It was probably the loudest roar I've ever heard," Vandeventer said.

VanDamme's moment reaches a little farther back than his players.

"I'm just old enough to remember when Jack Nicklaus won his last Masters (1986)," VanDamme said. "That was a great day to watch."

Though there isn't going to be any money on the line, the team is keeping a close eye on the field and each has a favorite in mind that will be putting on the green jacket Sunday evening.

Tiger Woods is of course a favorite choice.

"I got Tiger. It's kind of hard not to pick him," Vandeventer said. "If he gets the putter rolling he is tough to beat."

"There are so many good guys playing this weekend I wouldn't say that there is one guy that is the clear favorite, there are a handful of guys who could win it, but I would go with Tiger if I have to," Lamb said.

But some of the other guys on the team have other golfers in mind.

"I have to pick Adam Scott," Goss said. "World No. 5, fellow Aussie and I've played with him. Definitely rooting for him this week."