The extra point attempt is up and it clangs off the upright. The kick is no good. A raucous Neyland Stadium becomes noticeably quiet as the kick tumbles to the turf.

Junior kicker Derrick Brodus said a missed extra point during the Florida game a few week ago was just one of those things.

"It was definitely huge, it felt like that was one of the turning points in the game to be honest," said Brodus. "It happened. There's nothing I can do about it, I just have to move on and forget about it."

No statistic exists for bad snaps and bad holds and kickers, like Brodus, who take the heat for missed extra points.

"I missed an extra point (against NC State)," said Michael Palardy, with whom Brodus competes for the starting position, "and on the scorecard it says that I missed the extra point, and at the end of the day, that's what everybody looks at."

Brodus, wearing a brightly colored hat, khaki cargo shorts and a blue polo V-neck, described himself as "chill." Palardy wore a gray Tennessee football shirt with gray Dri-Fit shorts. Brodus said Palardy is "way better at (interviews)."

Brodus said that kicking is hard for him and Palardy immediately began mocking him. The rest of the room laughed as the well-spoken and personable Palardy continued to poke good-natured fun at Brodus for his communication skills, or lack thereof.

"We all act like idiots, him more than anyone," Palardy said.

Brodus was kicked off the Alcoa High football team as a high school junior after missing a game to showcase his All-State soccer skills. He played soccer all four years of high school and received All-State honors his final two.

"(My coach) made me decide if I wanted to play football or go travel, and I decided to travel and go play in soccer tournaments instead," said Brodus. "Soccer was really my life to be honest. We would go out of state every weekend we would fly to Florida, fly to Texas, drive to Arkansas. (My parents) put a lot of time and money into it. They supported me in everything I did so I felt like it was the least I could do."

With his focus on soccer, Brodus thought he would never kick a football again. Brodus enjoyed soccer more though, and decided that was what he wanted to pursue.

However, since there is no men's soccer team at Tennessee, Brodus decided to walk on the football team.

He was buried deep on the depth chart and, barring unforeseeable circumstances, would never step foot on the field during a game.

Then, the unthinkable happened. Palardy, the starting kicker at the time, injured his leg in a Thursday practice. Backup Chip Rhome then pulled a muscle during pregame warm-ups. The well-publicized story then goes as such: Brodus is escorted by police from his couch, where he was taking a nap prior to watching the game, to kick in the homecoming game against Middle Tennessee State University on Nov. 5, 2011.

Palardy retained his starting job for the remainder of the 2011-2012 season, though the coaching staff was proud of the way Brodus stepped up when his number was called.

"We weren't sure if he was going to mentally be prepared to kick in a game in Neyland Stadium on such short notice, but he did a good job," head coach Derek Dooley said following the MTSU game last season.

Palardy earned the starting position at the beginning of this season, but was benched in favor of Brodus after missing two extra points and a field goal in the first two games of the season. The change in kickers has not come between the two.

"If it wasn't for (Palardy), I probably wouldn't be in the spot I'm in right now," said Brodus. "Me and him both work together to get better, and it's just looking out for each other. We both want each other to do well, and I feel like it's not one of those things where we just want it for ourselves."

"This is the tightest knit group of specialists that I've ever been around, and I love it," said Palardy. "It's the spirit of competition; everybody's coming in every single day to take your spot. I don't care what position you are, that's the beauty of sports."

Brodus's number was called again and this time it was against rival Florida in arguably the biggest game at Tennessee under Dooley.

Brodus didn't attempt a field goal against the Gators, and was 2-for-3 on extra points.

The following week against Akron, Brodus tied the record for most points in a game by a UT kicker and received Lou Groza Star of the Week honors.

In response, Brodus tweeted, "Honored to share a record with some of UT's greatest kickers. Humbled by the opportunity to break barriers. Thankful, but not satisfied."

"It's been pretty wild," said Brodus. "There are a lot of people that said, once I quit football in high school, that I could never do it again, especially at the collegiate level.

"It feels good to say I proved them wrong."