Head coach Cuonzo Martin was pleased with his team during their scrimmage over the weekend, but still sees things the team can improve upon.

"I feel we did a good job moving without the ball," Martin said. "We had spacing, got the ball inside but probably not enough as far as getting the ball inside to Jarnell (Stokes). He can't go two or three possessions down the floor and not get the ball in his hands."

The team cannot release stats or a score from their scrimmage against Georgia Tech in Chattanooga this weekend, but the second year coach feels they accomplished what they set out to do.

"The biggest thing we were trying to do was play a lot of guys and we were able to do that," said Martin.

Senior guard Skylar McBee was also pleased with the team's play against an ACC opponent.

"We're going to play some really good teams this season so playing them gave us an opportunity to see how we stack up against a team from another conference. I thought our whole team played well, shot the ball well. We saw some things that we did well, but we also saw some things that we need to work on."

The Vols will be without big man Jeronne Maymon for the beginning of the season and there is not a timeline for his return.

"I don't have an exact timetable on when he will be back but it won't be for the first game," Martin said.

Since Maymon is down, Stokes will be looked upon even more to help pace the team in the post.

"With the caliber post guys we have, they have to touch the ball," said Martin. "They aren't just big guys, they can make plays and make decisions with the basketball. Jarnell is a guy who can run it as a point down on the block because he can pass the ball so well."

There is still time before the season starts and players are continuing to take advantage of the time to prepare.

"We are just trying to work on our overall game and getting better at the little things," point guard Trae Golden said. "We continue to get better as a team, and I think that's the main thing that he (Martin) wants."