The Vols came away with a win Monday night against Victory University, but the players still see room for improvement before the season opener.

"I liked the intensity we had, but we still have some things to take care of before the opener," head coach Cuonzo Martin said.

Martin was pleased that his team came away with the 99-57 win, but wants his team to shore up little things on the defensive end.

"There were a lot of breakdowns on the defensive side of the ball," Martin said. "I think some of the technique had some slips so we have to get that corrected."

Martin didn't think his team played particularly well in the first half, but they were able to turn things around in the second.

"I don't think we played really well, especially in the first ten minutes," said Martin. "Late in the half I think we got better, then in the second half I think we were solid. We started moving the ball a little better, getting the ball inside and creating the pass off the dribble."

Offensively, Martin was pleased with the intensity his team played with throughout the game and hopes to see that in the team's opener Friday night against Kennesaw State.

"It doesn't matter the opponent, let the scoreboard take care of itself," Martin said. "You do what you have to do, you don't have to look up, it's understood."

Redshirt freshman Quinton Chievous was key in the Vols' win, tallying 15 points and six assists. Chievous is seeing extended minutes due to the injury of Jeronne Maymon.

"It was a great feeling to get out there on the court for the first time and play in front of the fans," Chievous said. "I really just try and have fun and play basketball. I felt like my hard work in practice paid off and got some good results and a win."

Though this is Chievous' first time in a game, his teammates aren't surprised by the results.

"I wasn't surprised at all," senior Kenny Hall said. "I've always said that he is one of the hardest (working) guys on the team. He goes 100 percent all the time, he's a little warrior like Coach (Martin) says."

Though there were times the Volunteers looked shaky Monday night, Hall is ready for the season to start.

"I think we're ready. We've been hungry all off season and we've had a nice exhibition game to give us that feel especially for those guys who haven't been out there before."