In one of Tennessee's ugliest games of the season, one player stayed confident and collected, not looking for the big plays, but instead focusing on a team win.

Starting quarterback Tyler Bray threw for 530 passing yards, breaking the Volunteers' previous record of 523 yards set by Peyton Manning in 1997. The Vols broke a four-game losing streak on Saturday against Troy, outscoring the Trojans 55-48.

Now holding the record for the second-most passing yards from an SEC quarterback, Bray said it wasn't about breaking a record for him. During the game, he was more concerned that the Vols come out on top.

"I knew we were down seven points with three minutes to go," Bray said. "That's all I was worried about. I could care less about breaking records. We needed to win."

Even after the game, Bray remained calm, unconcerned with his current status.

"I mean, I'm just glad we won," Bray said.

Head coach Derek Dooley was grateful for the win. He said he was hoping the team would pull away more than they did, but coming away with the win was key.

"I think the biggest thing, no matter what ... the ultimate objective is to win the game," Dooley said.

Key to Bray's success were Tennessee wide-receivers Justin Hunter and Cordarrelle Patterson. Bray was quick to give his receivers credit where it was due.

"They're gonna do this every week," Bray said. "They're two NFL-caliber receivers and you just have to give them the ball and they're gonna make plays."

Patterson and Hunter combined for 400 yards and four touchdowns. Bray said he didn't even have to look for his receivers.

"They're just open," he said.

Patterson said he had low expectations going into the game. He was looking for a combined total of 200 receiving yards from him and Hunter.

He said his ability to avoid tackles and gain yardage was just a "blessing."

"It's kinda surprising," Patterson said. "With how big I am, I don't think I'm supposed to be able to do things like that."

With the defense barely making a tackle, the Vols' offense was under the spotlight. The pressure to have a perfect game with no mistakes and a scoring drive every time down the field was not a pleasant experience for anyone on the offense.

"It's a lot of stress, not only on us, but on the offensive coordinator too," Bray said.

Regardless, Bray said he felt his offense could keep up.

"When you have the receivers we (have), our passing game can go up against any defense," Bray said. "There are always passing plays and there's always running plays."