All the way from Southern California, sophomore Brynn Boren brings leadership and great talent to the Lady Vols tennis team. Boren’s aggressiveness on the court and her overall will to win makes her a great asset to the team.

“Brynn is an all around great player,” said senior Sarah Toti, Boren’s doubles partner. “She has a very aggressive game style and she always goes for her shots. She is specifically known for her forehand, that’s her main weapon.”

Choosing the right college was a challenging task for Brynn as she was looking for the best place for her to play college tennis.

“As I was going through high school, I was realizing how much of a bubble I was in,” Boren said. “I wanted to get away from the whole ‘OC’ (Orange County) thing. I liked UT the best. I love the girls on the team, the atmosphere, I just love everything about it.”

As a freshman, Boren was selected second team All-SEC, freshman All-SEC, 2011 ITA Ohio Valley Region Rookie of the Year and made the SEC Freshman Academic Honor Roll. Boren is currently ranked 34th in the nation in singles play, and along with Toti, No. 2 in doubles play.

Receiving these honors her freshman year proved her to be a true standout athlete. Now into her second season at Tennessee, Boren expresses her responsibility to stand up as a leader.

“In both singles and doubles play, I try to set an example,” she said. “Never give up when you’re out playing for your team, and to keep fighting until the last ball is struck. I definitely try and be a leader to our four talented freshman players.”

Midway through her first year, Boren overcame adversity when she was diagnosed with mono, which caused her to be out for five weeks.

“It took me about six months to fully recover from it,” Boren said. “I lost all my strength and had to start completely over. This was definitely a tough obstacle for me.”

Boren recalls her most memorable, defining moment so far as a Lady Vol tennis player.

“Last year, we were playing UGA in the SEC Tournament, I had just gotten over mono and was on my comeback,” she said. “I was getting my butt kicked playing this girl who I have never beaten in juniors who was always ranked top-10 (in singles play). My match was the clinching match. After I won, the crowd went nuts. It was such a great feeling after I had just come back from mono and the comeback from being down a set to win for the team was awesome.”

Boren’s quick transition from high school to college tennis came with numerous challenges.

“It’s not easy going from high school where you compete with girls around the nation but you play for yourself out there,” she said. “For college, you play for your team, so it’s a whole new pressure but it’s so much fun.”

Boren and the Lady Vols are looking ahead to their bright future this season.

“Our main goal as a team is to get as far as we can in the NCAA Tournament,” she said. “We are definitely capable of getting to the final four.”

Spare time is hard to find for Boren, but when she has time she enjoys reading, relaxing and going to the beach when she is at home in sunny California.

One of Brynn’s role models has always been tennis player Lindsey Davenport.

“I modeled my game after her; I looked up to her when I was little” she said.

Boren and the No. 8 Lady Vols travel this weekend for matches at Ole Miss on Friday and Mississippi State on Sunday.