Tyler Summitt is learning how to adapt to life away from his mom, Pat Summitt, after accepting an assistant coaching position with Marquette's women's basketball team on April 19.

"Now we realize we have to have more quality time rather than quantity time," he said. "We talk at least twice a day on the phone every day."

Tyler was on the ESPYs Wednesday night, as his mom Pat Summitt was honored with the Arthur Ashe courage award.

"It was an incredible experience that we were very blessed to be on," Tyler said.

Tyler is looking forward to his future at Marquette. He thinks the opportunity is perfect for him.

"Teri Mitchell, the head coach (at Marquette), is very strong in her faith," he said. "And like my mom, she has always done things the right way. So I think those values and priorities, that's what you have to stick to when making these job decisions not the pay or where it is at or whatever."

For Mitchell, the decision to hire the son of the all-time winningest NCAA basketball coach was an easy one.

"It only took me about 10 minutes for me to figure out I wanted to bring him in for an interview," Mitchell said. "The way he summed it up he said, 'I'll bring a championship environment to your program every day.' That's what he knows, what he's been grown up in and I love that. I love his enthusiasm and the passion he has for the game."

Tyler is pleased with how the new job has been going so far.

"Right now, they are giving me a lot of freedom," he said. "So as far as it goes at Marquette, she (Mitchell) has given me the freedom to help run the offense, I'm kind of the offensive coordinator if you will. I'm in charge of the point guards. I'm not the recruiting coordinator, but I do have a lot of recruiting areas that I take care of for recruiting that I'm in charge of. They don't care how young I am. Coach Mitchell really trusts me. She's incredible to do that."

Summitt certainly thinks his playing days at UT will help him with his new job. He was a practice squad player for the Lady Vols his freshman year, then a walk-on under Bruce Pearl his sophomore season and Cuonzo Martin his junior year.

"It was great," Tyler said. "I was there three years and every year I learned from a different head coach. There were different philosophies, different styles, different x's and o's, different off the court things. There's so many different ways.

"I don't think I'm going to coach exactly like my mom, Coach Pearl or Coach Martin. I'm going to have my own style and take the best from each."

Summitt isn't sure what the future brings, but a return to Rocky Top could be on the horizon.

"Would I happily accept the head coaching job of the Tennessee Lady Vols? Absolutely. I mean who wouldn't?" he said.

"But at the same time, it's not up to me. It's wherever God wants me and I'm also gonna put my family first. Even if the Tennessee job is open, maybe I'm not meant to be there. The one thing I have always wanted to be is a head coach. That's always burned inside of me."

In the meantime, Tyler is still working on "the stare" his mom is so famous for.

"People tell me that I have the eyes, but I don't know if I have that piercing stare just yet," he said.