Knowing that a person has read the fifth Harry Potter book five times may not make you think that person must be a two-time All-American. With Raven Chavanne, the Lady Vols’ sensational third baseman, this just happens to be the case.

“I’m obsessed with Harry Potter and it’s like borderline crazy,” Chavanne said. “I’ve read the fifth Harry Potter close to five times and that’s no exaggeration. I get teased about that a lot and that’s something someone wouldn’t know about me from just watching me play.”

While the casual onlooker may not know of Chavanne’s passion for the Harry Potter series, much can be learned about Chavanne solely from her performance on the diamond. Earning back-to-back All-America honors in her freshman and sophomore seasons, Chavanne is a finalist for the prestigious USA Softball National Collegiate Player of the Year award as Tennessee starts its 2012 season.

“She’s a spark plug at the top of the order that every great team has to have,” said Lady Vols’ co-head coach Karen Weekly. “It’s amazing what she’s been able to accomplish as a freshman and sophomore. The scary part is she has the talent and ability to compete at that level every year. I’m so proud of her and what she’s done.”

However, Chavanne views her personal accolades much differently.

“It’s nice, but while I love it, it’s not why I play,” Chavanne said. “It’s just like a bonus; I play because I love the game and my teammates and mostly, I want to win. I guess if I shoot for being an All-American I’m just doing my best to help the team win and that’s what we want to keep doing this year.”

Sidelined to start the 2012 season due to a fractured right thumb, Chavanne played a limited role in the Lady Vols’ first eight games. Like any true competitor, the inability to play was frustrating.

“It was extremely annoying and frustrating,” Chavanne said. “It made me so mad to just sit there and have to watch. But, it feels great now. When I first got my cast off it was stiff. I am just so thankful I will be able to see some action in Florida.”

In her first week back from injury, Chavanne wasted no time proving why she is a player of the year finalist.

In last weekend’s NFCA Leadoff Classic over Feb. 24-26 in Clearwater, Fla., Chavanne was named both most valuable player of the tournament and the Southeastern Conference’s Player of the Week. Over a five-game span Chavanne went 12-for-19, adding to an outstanding .632 batting average, scored four runs, and stole four bases.

“Raven is a great talent,” Weekly said. “The speed is a huge part of her game. It gives the team a whole new dimension. When we lead of with Raven you feel like anything is possible to happen with her speed.”

The Thousand Oaks, Calif. native was a standout track star at Newbury Park High School. There, Chavanne was a second team all-state member as a senior and boasted a 100-meter time that rated her eighth in the state of California.

“Her speed is truly invaluable,” Weekly said. “When Raven is on base, all the attention is on Raven. She plays a big role in what we do.”

In Chavanne’s freshman campaign she shattered the record for stolen bases in a single season. However, Chavanne holds many more records to her name, including the SEC batting average title in 2011, a league leading .527 on-base percentage, and joined former Lady Vol Lindsay Schutzler as the only Tennessee players ever to record 90 or more hits within two separate seasons.

“That’s not why I came here, to break records,” Chavanne said. “I came here to win.”

Chavanne continues the 2012 season with a winning intention in mind, and expects no less.

“(Women’s College) World Series, that’s what the expectation is,” Chavanne said. “That’s why we play. If that wasn’t our goal I wouldn’t have come here. That’s what they sold me on, that’s why I’m a Vol, a promising that we would be a World Series team.”