After a 7-0 start, it’s time for Tennessee baseball fans to make travel plans for the College World Series, right?

Not quite, at least not this year, but first-year coach Dave Serrano has the Vols headed in the right direction. After all, they couldn’t get any worse after the Todd Raleigh era ravaged the program for four seasons.

But seriously, Serrano is the coach who will bring UT back to the level of success it had in the mid 1990s and to an extent in the early 2000s. Back when the Diamond Vols were among the top teams in college baseball, Lindsey Nelson Stadium was packed on Friday and Saturday nights, giving UT a decisive home-field advantage.

With the lack of success in recent years in football, and its future still far from certain, Serrano’s program is one students and the UT fans base can get behind. He is arguably the best head coaching hire UT has made since bringing Johnny Majors home to coach the football team in 1977. It will take another season or two — think of the situation Derek Dooley inherited when he took over the football program in January 2010 — but Serrano will have the Vols competing for SEC titles and a spot in the College World Series on a regular basis.

Before that happens, fans should take a night or two each week and witness the turnaround first-hand. Baseball doesn’t appeal to some sports fans because of its slow pace, but the atmosphere at UT baseball games is a fun one, especially if you like seeing fans heckle opposing teams. Recent renovations turned Lindsey Nelson Stadium into a state-of-the-art facility. (What sport at UT doesn’t have top-notch facilities?) The only downside to the new additions is frat guys can no longer sit on the roofs of their fraternities along the first base line, drinking (adult?) beverages and cheering on the Vols. Aside from that one negative, UT baseball games are one of the more underrated aspects of UT athletics.

While the Serrano hire has already brought excitement to the program — UT had its largest home opening-day crowd in history this year — the support for the team needs to carry on throughout the year, especially when the team begins losing some games.

It’ll be easy to get behind the baseball program when the expectations are higher in a year or two, but why not support the Diamond Vols now and start attending games? There are worse things to do. Plus, it’s free for students.