In her first two soccer matches of the 2012 campaign, senior Lady Vol midfielder Amy Harrison has already surpassed her career high in goals in a single season, as well as being the glue for the team which is in its first season under new head coach Brian Pensky.

The 5-foot-7 Winnipeg, Canada native topped her career high of three goals from a season ago as she posted back-to-back two goal games in UT’s 4-0 shutout over Samford and the 4-1 victory over Western Kentucky to kick-off the season. As a result of her success and dominant play, scoring four times out of her six shots on goal this season, she has garnered two accolades this week that recognized her impact on the pitch.

The Lady Vols team captain was tabbed the SEC Offensive Player of the Week as well as Top Drawer Soccer Player of Week on Monday due to her knack for finding the net in the back of the goal.

“It feels really good. I wouldn’t have gotten it without my teammates,” said Lady Vols midfielder Amy Harrison. “They are all doing the right things, and it’s been a long preseason and long summer preparing for the season. So it’s really nice for our team to be recognized nationally and I can’t wait for other people to be recognized as well.”

However, the scoring outburst from the midfielder has been somewhat of a surprise to the senior, but on the other hand not so much.

“I don’t usually score many goals,” said Harrison, who had scored seven goals in her first three seasons at UT. “I have been working all summer on it, so now that it’s coming into my game I’m welcoming it.”

The Lady Vols soccer team will rely heavily on Harrison’s leadership this year, as they are motivated to go further than last year in which the team finished 15-7 and lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament to Ohio State by the score of 3-0.

“That loss is definitely in the back of our minds,” she said. “Making it to the tournament last year was a huge success because I haven’t made it in the first three years I’ve been here so now making it is not enough. We want to get even further this year.”

To begin the season the Lady Vols (2-0) were not in the Top 25 rankings, but the team is receiving votes to be in the rankings now after their fast start.

While this is her last year of playing collegiate soccer, Harrison has dreams of going on and playing for the Canadian National Team and winning the FIFA World Cup. She has had somewhat of the taste of what the experience would be like when she competed for Team Canada in the Inaugural Women’s U17 FIFA World Cup, which was held in New Zealand in 2008.

“It was unreal playing for my country, but playing in the World Cup is even crazier,” she said. “I think everyone dreams of playing in the World Cup or for their country in the Olympics but it’s just whether it’s going to happen or not.”

Her head coach thinks she is very capable of taking her skills to the next level after college.

“The thing that is separating Amy right now is that she came back more fit than she’s ever been,” said head coach Brian Penske. “If that fitness piece continues to develop for her and grow I certainly think the sky’s the limit for her.”

Coach Pensky also describes her as having a ‘tough as nails attitude’ on the soccer field, which one can presume she learned from an early age.

When the UT marketing major has free time she enjoys playing hockey as a hobby.

“I love to play hockey and have played it since I was four,” said Harrison. “It’s just a fun sport and a Canadian tradition.”

While she enjoys playing soccer and hockey for fun, Harrison is all about business this year for the UT Lady Vols soccer team who have high hopes this season.