It took five innings for the bats to heat up, and once they did, the offense had its biggest inning of the season.

The No. 10 Tennessee Lady Vols (32-9, 13-6 SEC) came away with a Tuesday afternoon win against the Radford Highlanders (21-11, 7-2 Big South), 8-2.

The Lady Vols fell behind early when the Highlanders scored a run in the top of the first, but sophomore pitcher Ellen Renfroe responded with two strikeouts to finish out the inning. Junior pitcher Ivy Renfroe only allowed one hit after relieving Ellen Renfroe in the third inning. Radford tacked on another run in the top of the third.

The Lady Vols threatened in the bottom of the fourth when they got the bases loaded, but failed to score. The bottom of the fifth, however, won the game for Tennessee.

The team was hitless until sophomore center fielder Tory Lewis led off the inning with a single into left-center.

“You don’t really take (the no-hitter) into consideration in the middle of the game,” Lewis said. “You just think, ‘All right, we need to hit the ball better.’”

Following Lewis’ hit, junior third baseman Raven Chavanne laid down a bunt to third base. She reached first safely on an error as Lewis went on home to score the first run of the game for the Lady Vols.

Senior Cat Hosfield reached base on an error by Radford at second base. Junior second baseman Lauren Gibson came up and emptied the bases with an inside-the-park home run. It was her 12th home run of the season.

“At first I thought it was gonna be a triple, because Radford is a really good team, so obviously they are gonna get the ball in fast,” Gibson said. “But I think (UT co-head coach) Karen (Weekly) was sending me anyway — safe or out, I was going.” Gibson said.

Even with the 4-2 lead, the Lady Vols weren’t done.

Sophomore shortstop Madison Shipman singled to center field to continue the hot hitting. Junior right fielder Kat Dotson followed that up with an infield single, and senior left fielder Shelby Burchell earned a walk in her at-bat. Junior first baseman Melissa Brown was thrown out at first, but still got an RBI as the runners advanced.

Freshman designated player Cheyanne Tarango provided the second home run of the inning for the Lady Vols, a three-run shot. It was her second home run of the year.

“When I hit it, it felt good,” Tarango said. “I didn’t know if it was gonna go out or not, but I knew that it felt good and that it was gonna be a base hit.”

The home run capped the scoring for the fifth inning explosion of eight runs.

The Lady Vols are now getting ready for their home weekend series with the LSU Tigers, starting Friday at 6 p.m.