After logging wins against Montana and Cincinnati to open up the season, head coach Derek Dooley and his Tennessee Volunteers will have their first true test of the season as they hit the road for the first time this week to take on the No. 16 Florida Gators, who are led by first-year head coach Will Muschamp.

“We haven’t really been truly battle-tested on the road against a good team when they’re loud and ready to go,” Dooley said. “This is going to be a good test for our young guys. I don’t know how we’re going to handle it.”

Saturday’s SEC opener between Tennessee (2-0) and Florida (2-0) will be the two programs’ 41st meeting — the Gators hold the series lead at 21-19. However, what many consider to be one of college football’s best rivalry games has been a one-sided affair for the last six years.

Since former Florida head coach Urban Meyer took over the reigns in Gainseville back in 2005, the Gators have yet to lose to the Vols and have outscored them by a wide margin of 180-83.

Despite the growing trend and the Vols having to play in one of the most hostile environments in college football, it seems to be only a sense of motivation for many Vols, including sophomore defensive end Jacques Smith.

“Beating Florida is something that I’ve been wanting to do ever since I stepped foot on campus, and hopefully we can make that happen this year,” he said. “Everybody kind of knows the statistics of Tennessee and where we were back then, where we are now and where we were in between that. All we can do is focus on the future and the opportunity we have at hand, and that’s to go into Florida and beat them and go 3-0.”

The last time Tennessee beat Florida, the Vols ended up in the SEC Championship game in 2004.

This week the Vols have been working hard at practice and have been watching their fair share of film on the Gators and keying on where they believe their strengths in the game are and what players they need to watch out for. That would be senior running back Chris Rainey and Florida’s defense as a whole.

After being released at one point early on in the season last year and making his way back onto the team, Rainey has continued to excel as a big playmaker in the Gator’s offense, which is now coached by Charlie Weis. Rainey currently leads the team in rushing yards with 27 carries for 198 yards and two touchdowns. Not to mention, the versatile 5-foot-9, 174-pound running back also leads the team in receiving with nine receptions for 110 yards and a touchdown.

“Rainey is a problem on defense because if you can’t catch him when they flip him the ball,” Dooley said. “He’s a problem in the return game for the same reason, you can’t catch him. He always shows up as a difference maker in the game.”

Another senior running back that the Vols will have to try to contain will be Jeff Demps, who suffered a minor injury in the Gators’ 39-0 win against UAB last week, but appears ready to suit up this Saturday. The Vols’ defense should be very familiar with Demps after seeing him rush the ball 26 times for 73 yards last year in the Gators’ 30-17 victory in Knoxville.

On the other side of the ball, the Vols will be facing one of the toughest defenses in the league, which leads the nation in scoring defense allowing just 1.5 points a game, despite only forcing one turnover all season.

“I feel their defensive line is a very strong part of their defense,” said Tennessee offensive coordinator Jim Chaney. “Any type of run game you can do will help us solidify the line of scrimmage. It’s important for us to be able to run the ball efficiently in this ball game.”

If the Vols can somehow find a way to key on the Gators’ playmakers and have success in the running game, there is a good chance they could pull off an upset in The Swamp this week.

The game is scheduled for a 3:30 p.m. kickoff on CBS.