The injuries are piling up as quickly as losses for Tennessee.

Coach Derek Dooley announced Monday that sophomore strong safety Brent Brewer is out for the season after tearing his ACL in Saturday’s 14-3 loss to South Carolina.

Brewer finished with 23 tackles in eight starts, including five against the Gamecocks.

“Unfortunate, but we have to put the next guy in and go play,” Dooley said.

Prentiss Waggner, who was just moved to cornerback, his primary position, will move back to safety and start alongside freshman Brian Randolph, who will make his first start at strong safety after starting at free safety for four games.

Dooley doesn’t know how Randolph will do in the new role.

“I don’t know, he hasn’t done it. We are going to have to try and make it simple for him.”

The Vols have already lost wide receiver Justin Hunter for the season, and quarterback Tyler Bray is still out recovering from a broken thumb. Dooley said the target for Bray’s return is still the Vanderbilt game Nov. 19.

Worley still starting

Freshman Justin Worley is still listed as the starter when the Vols host Middle Tennessee Saturday at 7 p.m. Worley made his first start against South Carolina, passing 10-of-26 for 105 yards and two interceptions before being replaced by senior Matt Simms late in the game.

“Justin obviously didn’t play great,” Dooley said. “He made some good throws, he did some things that we felt good about, and then he made some really bad decisions and some throws that he could have thrown better. So hopefully we will see a little improvement in his play. I think we will. I think there was a lot of nerves out there that affected him especially early on.”

Worley’s longest pass was a 26-yarder to fellow freshman DeAnthony Arnett, whom he connected with twice.

Hope in November

One of the rougher Octobers in UT history is over. Tennessee has the second-toughest schedule in the nation (only behind Auburn), complete with six teams currently ranked in the AP Top 25. Left in November are MTSU, No. 8 Arkansas, Vanderbilt and Kentucky. Tennessee’s past opponents have combined for a 43-14 record, but those four remaining squads are 16-15.

“What most of you see in those teams, that’s what they are,” Dooley said of UT’s October schedule. “They are all capable of beating anybody in the country, and you need to play very well against them. You’ve got to find a way to run the ball and score points against them. When you don’t — just looking at when those teams play each other.”

The Vols have won six consecutive November matchups dating back to Nov. 21, 2009. The Vols only need three more wins to become bowl eligible.

“If we don’t play like we’re capable of playing, it will be the same result as South Carolina and all the other games,” tailback Tauren Poole said of MTSU. “We have to come out and have the intensity, the enthusiasm and productivity to come out and just produce as an offense. If we don’t, it will be embarrassing for this senior class and for this entire team.”