The sports world witnessed one of the University of Tennessee's often-forgotten stories Sunday night when ESPN aired The Color Orange: The Condredge Holloway Story.

Holloway, an African-American from Huntsville, Ala., played football for the Volunteers from 1972-74, and became the first black quarterback to start in the SEC.

During his three-year career as the Vols' signal-caller, Holloway guided UT to a 25-9-2 record. He ranks 10th all-time in school history in total offense, having amassed 4,068 yards as both a passer and runner.

"The Artful Dodger," as he was known throughout Big Orange Country, provided UT fans with many memorable plays and became an icon to a generation of Tennessee fans, much like Peyton Manning has become in recent years.

But unlike Manning, Holloway was a two-sport star at Tennessee. And that second sport, baseball, nearly kept Holloway from ever dawning the orange and white.

Holloway was the fourth overall selection in the 1971 MLB Draft by the Montreal Expos, but he turned down a literal briefcase full of money to come to Knoxville.

He didn't disappoint on the diamond either. He led the SEC in batting average (.396) in 1975, en route to being named a first-team All-American.

After college, Holloway spent 12 seasons playing in the Canadian Football League, winning two Grey Cups, the Canadian Football League's equivalent to the Super Bowl. He was inducted into the CFL's Hall of Fame in 1999.

Still, Holloway will always be remembered for what he did while wearing his tear-away, orange No. 7 jersey.

But is he remembered enough by today's generation of Vols fans?

He'll tell you he is, but in reality, he's not and probably never will be.

Maybe that's because today's younger Vol fans never got the chance to see him lead the Vols' to a 28-21 victory against Penn State in the first-ever night game played in Neyland Stadium in 1972. Or in the 1974 Clemson game when he somehow connected with wide receiver Larry Seivers for touchdown as time expired and then scored a two-point conversion to win 29-28.

Arguably his most memorable moment came, not on a highlight reel play, but during a play he wasn't on the field for.

In the 1974 season-opener agaisnt UCLA, Holloway was injured in the first half and was taken to the hospital for X-rays. During the third quarter, while the game was in progress, Holloway emerged from the locker room and jogged around the stadium to the Tennessee sidelines before promptly returning to the game.

It's a shame Holloway played well before his time in an era that didn't display his talents like it would now.

But hopefully in today's era, Vol fans can begin to fully appreciate all Holloway did at Tennessee.