Janzen Jackson’s opportunity to play football for the University of Tennessee is now gone.

On Wednesday, UT announced the junior free safety had been dismissed from the team.

“Our program has devoted a tremendous amount of energy, resources, support and care in an effort to help Janzen manage his personal challenges,” coach Derek Dooley said in a statement. “I will always be there to help him as a person, but there comes a time when a player’s actions preclude him from the privilege of playing for the University of Tennessee football team.

“Although I’m disappointed with this outcome, we will never compromise the long-term organizational values and goals we maintain here at Tennessee.”

Jackson had battled off-the-field issues leading up to Wednesday’s news, most notably missing most of the team’s practices leading up to the 2010 Music City Bowl last December and withdrawing from school during the Spring Semester. He re-enrolled for the second session of summer school.

After Tuesday’s morning practice, Dooley said Jackson had “no margin of error.”

“I said when he came back that he’s not really back, and I still feel that way,” Dooley said. “He’s day-to-day in the program, and he has been. To his credit, he’s been working hard on the field and we hope he continues to maintain the right level off the field. But I’ve told you guys from the beginning, I’ve always operated as if he wasn’t here, and we’re going to continue to do that.”

And now, Jackson is no longer a member of the football team. Something he said was difficult for him to deal with while he was away from the team.

“It feels great to be back out here with my teammates and my friends, back playing the sport I love,” Jackson said Aug. 8 in his only media appearance after rejoining the team. “The toughest part was being away from this game, the game I love so much. This is what I love to do in my spare time. That’s the biggest thing that hurt me while I was gone. I did everything I possibly could to get back, and it paid off.”

Jackson started 22 games in his two-year UT career. His play last season earned him a spot on the SEC Coaches’ All-SEC Second Team. He finished his career as a Vol with 106 tackles and six interceptions.