University of Miami athletics booster Nevin Shapiro gave prostitutes, parties, bling and cash to dozens of players.

Terrelle Pryor was somehow granted eligibility in the NFL Supplemental Draft and will probably avoid any consequences from selling his sportsmanship memorabilia at Ohio State.

Reggie Bush and his family got money, a car and even a house, eventually leading to USC giving up a national championship.

Not that this is breaking news, but college athletics are in a really bad place right now.

Even a private, Christian Delaware high school football team is trying to "offer aid for athletic purposes," according to a recent USA Today article. The school wants to forgo opportunities to play for a state championship in order to play higher-profile schools and give themselves a national profile.

The school says the main reason for this radical idea is to "impact the country spiritually," the school superintendent said. I might have believed that a few decades ago, but not today.

So, I'll be one more voice that asks, where have my amateur college sports gone?

The truest — and maybe the only remaining — form of amateurism in college athletics nowadays is on the intramural fields. They can still boast the young adults who aren't getting scholarships or free adidas gear, who are probably going to be hurting for a few days after they play because they haven't done more physical activity than take an elevator down to their dorm's convenience store to buy some M&Ms, Cheetos and a Red Bull.

They still play, however, to enjoy the camaraderie, competition and physical activity they sought, whether they knew it or not, ever since they were in elementary school.

I'm sincerely afraid that if I ever have a kid who's decent at sports, I'm going to have to toss a football with him in the backyard late at night just so I'm not bothered by boosters or recruiters.

I just remember kicking a soccer ball against my garage door for hundreds of hours as a kid, running so hard I'd throw up at summer workouts, and spending Saturday mornings in the batting cages at the arcade, with college glory as one of those things that was never going to happen, but would have been pretty darn sweet if it had.

I don't think money ever once crossed my mind during dreams of athletic stardom.

Those seem to be days of the past.

And if you think hardcore corruption only involves Division I men's football and basketball programs, you'd be mistaken. The NCAA has doled out the infamous Death Penalty to three different programs.

One was the highly publicized Southern Methodist University's powerhouse football program in the late 1980s. The other two, though, were a Division II soccer team and a Division III tennis team for Cam Newton-esque scandals.

Bottom line is that this stuff is everywhere in college sports. It's sad to say, but crooked operations may even go on at NAIA schools.

I guess I know what's happened to my amateur sports. Money. Greed. The same things that corrupt everything else in the world.

The question I really have is, will we ever see them again?