On top of the typical adjustments the Tennessee football team usually has to make when classes start, it has another change to deal with.

Practices will now begin at 9 a.m. on weekdays, as opposed to last season’s late afternoon starts.

Coach Derek Dooley has wanted to implement morning workouts for a few years, but wasn’t able to in his first season at UT.

Dooley said the coaches and players will have to fine-tune their routines and there might be some growing pains.

“I’m really more nervous about what we haven’t thought of,” Dooley said. “We’ve got to get in a little rhythm of game-planning as coaches … and that’s what I’m a little concerned about.”

Sophomore defensive end Marlon Walls does not consider the time change to be a big issue, but he said everyone will have to adjust.

“For some of the guys it’s going to be hard, but I’m a morning person anyways,” Walls said. “I’m usually up and around about 7 (a.m.) anyways.

“I think that’ll be the hardest thing: getting up after practice and going to class and eating. Usually we’re done around 12 (p.m.) with class and getting ready for practice. But I think that’ll be the biggest adjustment.”

Dooley mentioned the benefits for the players as well.

“I think it’s going to help the players manage their weeks better,” Dooley said. “They’re going to get in bed earlier. They’re going to eat better, and they won’t be oversleeping for class because they have practice.

“I just feel like it’ll be a better routine for everybody. Time will tell.”

The team won’t practice on Mondays, giving the players necessary rest, as well as allowing the coaches to have another full day of planning the next game’s strategy, which Dooley said will be a benefit.

As every year near the beginning of classes, there is a surplus of distractions. Walls said the team simply has to ignore them.

“You walk around and see a lot of people coming in, moving in, and you see a lot of students on campus,” Walls said. “Our job is just to finish up camp strong because we need it. We need it badly. So you’ve got to learn how to block those distractions out and just focus as a team and keep that goal ahead and stay focused on what we came here to do, and that’s just win some ball games.”

Dooley said the players were somewhat unmotivated at the beginning of Tuesday’s practice.

“It was not the start that we needed,” Dooley said. “Because we are an immature team when it comes to working, we have to learn that nobody cares how you feel.”

Dooley even did a few up-down drills with sophomore wide receiver Justin Hunter.

“I think it’s towards the end of camp … We’re getting distracted,” Walls said. “(Dooley) did a great job as a coach to get us back motivated.”

Bray on watch list

Sophomore Tyler Bray was one of 31 quarterbacks named to the Manning Award Watch List, given annually to the nation’s top signal-caller. Bray threw for 1,849 yards and 18 touchdowns last season, both UT freshman records. He started the team’s final five games and was named the SEC Freshman of the Week three times.