With only one day of classes left and finals just around the corner, Hodges Library wants to help students "de-stress."

For the second semester, Hodges is formally holding their "De-Stress for Success" event. Starting on Wednesday, students will be able to participate in several activities that are designed to help students calm their nerves during the stress of finals week.

"While these activities may seem light-hearted or even frivolous, ours is not the only large academic library to sponsor such events," explained Steve Smith, Dean of Libraries. "Our staff does so out of a desire to help boost our students' success and keep them healthy at the end of what, for many, is a long and taxing semester."

Megan Smith, executive assistant, elaborated further about why Hodges makes an effort to support the student body during finals.

"Well the students are here in the library. ... Especially during exam time, they're here 24/7," Smith said. "They're spending so much time here. They're eating here. They're sleeping here."

She added, "Since they're here, it would be nice to let them know we appreciate how much work they're putting into their studies and know they really need to take a break every now and then. ... "

On Wednesday, the study day before finals week, the Student Assessment of Instruction System (SAIS) will host an ice cream social from noon to 2 p.m.

In Room 251, Hodges will be playing movies and cartoons throughout the day. There will also be coloring books. All of the entertainment in Room 251 will be ongoing throughout finals week.

Representatives from Student Health will also be at Hodges. They will be giving advice on proper and healthy habits for eating and studying during this especially stressful time.

"Student Health is going to be here pretty much every day," Smith said. (They'll) promote healthy eating and studying habits, making sure that people are drinking water, making sure they're taking enough breaks and eating something other than Combos from the bookstore."

Student Health will be at Hodges from 10 a.m. to noon on Wednesday and then 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. during the weekdays of finals week.

As with previous de-stress programs, masseuses from the Knoxville Massage Therapy Center will be at Hodges to give students a chance to relieve the physical toll that finals can wrought. One change with the massage therapy is that this semester there will not be the usual two masseuses, but three.

The massage therapists will be in Hodges from 1 to 4 p.m. every weekday during finals week, Dec. 5-12.

A highlight of the "De-Stress for Success" event will be the return of the HABIT dogs. Like semesters past, dogs will be brought in for students to bond with as a furry coping mechanism.

Human-Animal Bond in Tennessee is the organization that will bring in the dogs. HABIT is a group of volunteers consisting of representatives from the UT College of Veterinary Medicine, private veterinary practitioners and volunteers from the community.

The HABIT dogs will be brought in to Hodges every weekday from Dec. 5 to 12. They'll be in the library from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and than again from 5 to 7 p.m.

A variety of breeds will be visiting students, including greyhounds, klee kais, labradoodles, corgies, golden retrievers and many more.

A number of organizations helped sponsor "De-Stress for Success," including The Student Success Center, Love Your Libraries 5K, UT Parents Association, the School of Information Sciences, SGA, University Libraries and UT Alumni.