Charlie Peppers on the Strip will play host to the unique sounds of hometown band Jescoe and its guest JMC tonight.
Knoxville based Jescoe is a six piece band made up of Jason Perry on guitar, Adam Adkins on drums, Chris Karb on bass, Anthony Hussey as vocalist and Sam Perry and Oslo Cole on tenor sax and rhythm guitar.
Cole said that with the instrumentation, the band’s sound is pretty versatile.
“Rock is the foundation, but we have a tendency to jam out a little bit and throw in some things like funks and jazz,” he said. “Eclectic is the best way to describe it, with rock as the glue.”
“We go away from the norm, away from a set genre,” Cole said. “We don’t want to be shackled to any particular style.”
The band has been playing together for about two years now. Karb, Hussey and Cole all knew each other from their days in the Pride of the Southland Marching Band. Cole said his involvement in the band was something of a happy accident.
“I left my umbrella at the place the band practiced, and when I came back to get it, Karb asked me to sit in with them.” He’s been playing with them ever since.
Jescoe’s current goal is to work toward an album in the next six months. With Adkins having become the new drummer about two months ago, Cole said the band is trying to hone their sound before going to the studio.
The addition of Adkins changed the band’s style a bit, but in a good way.
“He’s been a great addition to the band, and we’re really happy to have him,” Cole said.
Cole promises a performance Friday that will defy expectations.
“If you come to one of our shows, it will probably be a completely different musical experience than what most people are used to,” he said. “It’s going to be different, but if you come and check it out, it will all come together.”
Opening for Jescoe is Nashville singer songwriter/hip hop artist JMC. JMC is known for his melodic and catchy songs.
“Whether it be my vocals or an instrument driving the melodies, it’s very personal, better than what you hear on the radio,” he said.
JMC said that music has always been in his life, starting when he was little and his parents would sing him to sleep.
“I’ve always been a writer, writing poems and things such as that, and from that it blossomed into writing songs,” he said. Then he went to MTSU for college. “They have a pretty good music program, and I got into the more technical aspect.”
Soon after, Obtuse Music discovered him at a house party. They helped him put out his first album, “Universality.”
To get an idea of JMC’s eclectic musical style, the best thing to do is look at his favorite musicians: Etta James, De La Soul, Erykah Badu, A Tribe Called Quest, Led Zeppelin and Paul Simon.
“Really I’m influenced by everything around me,” he said.
JMC said his main goal is “freedom in music over everything.”
“Obtuse is about trying to be different and more creative with music, something we feel is lacking today.”
It promises to be a memorable evening at Charlie Peppers on Cumberland Avenue. JMC will go on around 9:30 p.m., with Jescoe to follow shortly after. There is no cover. For more information on the artists, visit http://www.jescoe.com and http://www.obtusemusic.com.