The Knoxville Museum of Art will host an evening of blues music and art for this week's Alive After Five program.
At 5:30 p.m., the Jobes Blues Band will heat up the evening with its signature funky sound.
Mike Gill, Alive After Five coordinator, said the band is a staple of the Knoxville blues scene. It performs regularly at several local venues, including the Baker-Peter's Jazz Club and Sassy Ann's, and it also played a set at the Hard Knox Blues Fest in June 2000. Selections from its album, Moving On, have received airtime on local radio stations such as WUOT-FM and WDVX-FM.
"They're a talented and professional blues band," Gill said. "They perform blues classics as well as their own original material."
The powerful voice of Diane Jobe, the band's founder, has garnered comparisons to Janis Joplin.
"Jobe is charismatic, with a sassy, saucy attitude," Gill said, and described the trumpet/trombone/saxophone horn section as "high energy."
Letitia Kastura, KMA marketing manager and public relations director, explained that the recently reinstated Art After Eight program will immediately follow the Alive After Five performance at 8 p.m.
Docent-guided discussions will explore the museum's various exhibitions, giving participants the opportunity to educate themselves about the individual works.
"The guides are very knowledgeable about the artwork and the artists themselves," Kastura said.
Gill added that the tours are very informal - "You can stay for five minutes or the whole tour."
The exhibits currently being featured are The KMA Collection: Art During and After the 20th Century, A Painting for over the Sofa (that's not really a painting), works by Knoxville native Joseph Delaney and Southern Craft Innovations.
Gill said that the museum's most recent addition, the craft exhibit, features unique works by 25 artists working in wood, clay, fiber, metal and glass.
"They've taken their respective traditions into exciting new directions," Gill said. "It's craft - but it's craft in that in-between continuum between craft and fine art."
Gill said the event will be catered by Gus's and will also offer a cash bar and free popcorn.
Admission is $5 for non-members and $2.50 for UT students.