Art is not just paint on canvas.

Amersterdam-based artist Fransje Killaars uses textiles to unite many artistic mediums such as architecture, interior design and fashion.

Killaar's exhibit entitled "Color at the Center" is located at the Ewing Gallery in the Art and Architecture building and will remain in place until Oct. 21. On Sept. 12, the same day the exhibit opened, Killaars gave a lecture about her work, and the exhibit specifically.

"It's the first time that I have put them together in the same exhibit," Killaars said in an interview printed in the Sept. 12 issue of The Daily Beacon. "It's the same concept, but it makes a different sculpture, another work."

The exhibit contains a set of installations both portable for museum showings and some permanent for private viewing. Killaars' artwork focuses around color and takes the form of human bodies.

"I really like it, I think it's exciting for the space and not like anything that has been in here for a while," Sarah McFalls, collections manager of the Ewing Gallery, said. "Big installations draw a lot of interest and talk and something that looks good outside the gallery and inside, and to be able to walk around it."

The Dutch artist covers everyday objects with colorful textiles, as noted in this exhibit. The piece "24 Hours" features 24 stacked twin beds covered in colorful blanket-like fabrics, overlooked by a figure.

"There was a bed for each hour and you think about time sleeping and what you do during the day," McFalls said. "I kind of like it for the title and just the stacks of color. It was a volume presence."

The figures so frequently occurring in Killaars' exhibit were covered with handmade textiles from a handloom mill in India. According to the Ewing Gallery's website, the 54-year-old artist intentionally shaped the figures so they would "evoke associations to historic and contemporary representations of women."

"(Killaars) says 'It's political, it's not, it's loaded, it isn't,'" McFalls said. "We see the shrouded figure in the news a lot lately ... so it could be related to that, but at the same time I think it came out of also maybe being in your studio and shifting things around and it very well could be that she picked up a blanket and needed to put it somewhere and put it on a mannequin and thought, 'that's an exciting new form.'

"People can relate to that scale, we don't know that it's a person but we think it's a person and it looks like a person, but we're not sure."

Dylan Hanrahan, an undecided freshman, said Killaars' use of textiles over the conventional paint and canvas stood out to him.

"I have never seen textiles; I have never seen an exhibit like this," Hanrahan said. "It's interesting that the artist is doing something unconventional and I'm not getting what they're trying to convey exactly, but it makes me think and if this was just a painting, it wouldn't give the same effect.

"Those are actual figures and they have textiles on them, and it's just interesting."

Ultimately, McFalls describes the exhibit as "very colorful."

"(It's) very stimulating, and just a feast for the eyes," McFalls said. "There are things to look at that are different from every angle."

The Gallery is open Monday through Friday from 1-5 p.m., Sunday from 1-4 p.m. and closed Saturday.

For more information on Killaars and the Ewing Gallery, click here.