Poetry is everywhere, even in the southern-fried atmosphere of Big Fatty's.

The restaurant on Kingston Pike will play host to a poetry series entitled "Po' Boys and Poets," a play on the local favorite's specialty sandwich, on Saturday.

The first title in the series is entitled "Queens of Poetry" and will feature Marilyn Kallet, director of creative writing, Aisha Brown, Sincere and Tru Stori.

Black Atticus, the poet name of Joseph Woods, is a Knoxville slam poet who conceptualized the event.

"The owner of Big Fatty's called me, and she said, 'I really want to do something with you, I keep hearing your name,'" Atticus said. "And I'd heard of Big Fatty's as a good place to go eat. I love eating, so I was cool with that."

The "Queens of Poetry" title stems from a need Atticus saw in the Knoxville community.

"I decided to go with the 'Queens of Poetry' because I feel like the male poets in Knoxville are heard enough," Atticus said. "The women aren't heard enough."

Atticus collected this group of diverse poets after each profoundly impacted the way he looked at poetry. Each woman brings a unique style to the poetry table.

"At some point in time, all of these ladies have blown my mind," Atticus said. "Marilyn, just period. I heard her name for years before I actually got the chance to hear her. Once I did, I realized that she's a very brazen writer.

"You never know what you're going to get with Marilyn, but you do know you're going to get quality."

While Kallet boasts extensive experience performing her poetry, this style of venue is one she said will challenge her.

"It's been a long time since I've slammed," Kallet said. "I try to be accessible and bring the audience in. I'm not going to pretend to be something I'm not. I'm not a rapper; I'm just not.

"I want to try to be fun and funny and elegant and put some poems together that have some real feeling to them."

Brown, a community organizer and social activist, said she does not perform her poetry often.

"I'm old enough to have a second career and I'm focusing more on writing and creativity," Brown said. "Even though people in my community know me as a writer, I haven't really promoted that in a way of pursuing a career.

"I am pursuing the more creative aspect of myself now more than I ever did."

The location of the event is one of the more unique aspects of the event. The atmosphere Big Fatty's creates is crucial to the event, Atticus said.

"People have a great dining experience there," Atticus said. "It has low ceilings; it gives a kind of intimacy with the crowd. Everybody feels more together."

Atticus said he hopes people will come to the event and that it will challenge their previous notions of poetry.

"If ... their idea of poetry is more not truly applicable to today's world, I would challenge them to come and see what a sincere poet, what a real poet sounds like, feels like," Atticus said. "All of these women can show (students) something about life. They've all seen it from different perspectives.

"All really good poets show us how to use these things we use every day -- words -- and use them more efficiently."

The event starts at 7 p.m., and there is an $8 cover charge at the door.