Mike Wsol brought his exhibit, "Limited Vision," to the Ewing Gallery Monday to display his collection of sculptures as well as two dimensional drawings.

The art featured in Wsol's display mainly focused on sculptures that represent architecture and how it influences people's behavior and thoughts. Wsol explained the art is symbolic of the complex dualities that life presents and that people face during times of hardship.

"My work all culminated from that questioning ... that feeling of frustration," Wsol said during the exhibit.

Wsol used this questioning to create artwork that was symbolic of how a person's physical view can reflect their emotional state. The insides of his sculptures are bright and safe, however the view is limited. On the other hand, the outside of his sculptures are unprotected and bare, which are more vulnerable.

The shapes of the sculptures, like that of houses, bunkers or towers, are representative of these buildings in life and how they make a person feel, Wsol said.

The sculptures range in colors from black, white and grey, as well as one sculpture that is painted like a landscape. The heights, widths and shapes of these sculptures also vary accordingly.

Many of the pieces have horizontal slits in them that represent sight and human perspective, Wsol said. Additionally, he used different levels and openings in his sculptures to engage the viewer and allow them to feel more connected to the artwork through the physical experience of viewing them.

"The different levels and openings in all the pieces really struck me as compelling," said Allie Rich, freshman in graphic design. "The psychological appeal that each individual piece has is different and I can really see how each sculpture matches a different point in life."

Wsol began his project after his wife lost her job and the family had to move from their home in Virginia. However, he was unable to sell their house due to its drop in value. This challenged Wsol and inspired his "Limited Vision" exhibit.

Wsol began his project by sketching models and graphics and then creating models on the computer. Next, he began to build the sculpture. The pieces are made mostly of steel and MDF, a dense, wood-like substance that is easily shaped but fragile.

Other artwork displayed included mini models of sculptures and observations posted on the walls of the gallery.

Wsol is currently a professor at Georgia State University and lives in Atlanta with his wife and family.

The Beltline Bridge is a new project that Wsol, as well as some of students, are currently working on. The Beltline Bridge includes a set of train tracks entering a tunnel that fades into darkness. Wsol said he hopes this will give the viewer "an intense experience of traveling from dark to light."

In the future, Wsol said he hopes to create more sculptures that can be viewed both indoors as well as outdoors and achieve more flexibility in his work.